We are frequently asked to examine animals which are not performing as expected. Causes may include:
• Lower respiratory disease
• Upper airway conditions, including laryngeal paralysis and dorsal displacement of the soft palate (DDSP)
• Cardiac arrythmias, murmurs
• Muscular, including azoturia (“tying up”)
• Viral/post-viral illness (chronic fatigue)
These investigations can be time-consuming, and involve a battery of tests.
• Blood sampling: we can provide full in-house laboratory testing for biochemistry electrolytes and haematology
• Respiratory endoscopy (on your yard)
• Muscle biopsy sampling
• Lameness work-up
• Cardiac examination, with referral if deemed necessary.
An initial clinical examination with follow-up clinical exams and re-evaluation at every stage is crucial to achieving an accurate diagnosis and good clinical outcome in these cases.